Last week I announced that I quit my job to freelance and build my own business, yep, remember that. I’d like to tell you that I’ve been widely successful in the past week and a half, and that all of my fears have been put to rest. But that would be a lie, and I want my business to be based on truth and integrity.
I did, however, receive this wonderful card from my cousin along with an adorable picture of her child. This is a nice idea, but I didn’t actually retire. Nope, definitely still working, but thanks Jenna. 🙂
So to give you a quick recap of the past week I put together a list of DOs and DON’Ts for your first week of self-employment. Just in case I’ve inspired anyone… 🙂 It could also be titled “How to be Alone All Day.”
DOs and DON’Ts for surviving your first week of freelancing:
- DO remember to brush your teeth on a consistent basis.
- DO buy some new music on iTunes. I recommend this song!
- DON’T forget to give yourself an iTunes budget.
- DO schedule a plumbing emergency for 7:00 am on your first day of full-time freelancing. If nothing else, it will make sure you get out of bed before your alarm goes off.
- DON’T make it completely obvious that you’ve been alone all day when the plumber arrives. He doesn’t care that you are starting your own business.
- DO schedule meetings and outings with friends in the first week. It will get you out of the house.
- DON’T expect to be a magically successful business owner in the first week.
- DO go outside. At least once a day.
- DON’T spontaneously go buy a dog, cat, rabbit, guinea pig, or goldfish to keep yourself company. Well, maybe a goldfish.
- DO attempt to keep normal office hours.
Some of these are just for fun, but others are sooo true – the iTunes budget and plumbing emergency… that happened. I bought and listened to that song above WAY to many times. BUT I did not get a dog, cat, rabbit, guinea pig, or goldfish, yet.
All in all I think it was a good first week, but I don’t really have anything to base it off of. One week down, many more to come. If anyone has any advice on how to be alone all day, please share! I’m all ears.